Saturday, November 5, 2011

The little things

The little things can make any situation change from bad to good or vice versa in a matter of moments.

With a toddler the smallest of tasks can end up being quite an ordeal. Tonight that task was nail clipping. I know, fun fun. Mylin was fighting it every step of the way. She squirmed, kicked, and said "All done! All done!" repeatedly. Once I got to her toes I told her she could have polish if she let me finish. Sadly, this didn't settle her right away, but we got through it. She was a pretty unhappy girl. However, as soon as we were done she ran to the bathroom, pointed at the medicine cabinet and said "This. This." She knows exactly where the polish is. She also knows exactly what color she wants every time. Independent woman ;) I have no clue where she gets it from.We picked a bright red, with sparkles, of course.

As soon as she saw the first toe polished her face lit up. She went from a sleepy lil grump to happy sparkly eyed girl. (I can't lie seeing her all excited made me excited too.) She could barely sit still and kept saying "ooooo..." and "pretty.". Once we were done she stood right up and began to prance around the room. She had a huge smile and was kicking her toes up in the air, both so she could see them and she could show them off. With a goofy little smile she announced "I pretty! I pretty!" My heart got all melty. (Corny I know, but I LOVE my little girl.)

In these moments I was reminded how the little things can mean so much. They can make a little girl feel like a beauty queen, remind her that her Mama loves her, and remind her Mama how important those little things are. It's so important to give our children those little moments, not just for them but for us.

2 comments:

  1. I'm catching up on your blog! I love this! I think when we start painting our baby girl's nails, Res is going to want his painted too! He loves "girl" stuff, and he's also going to love dressing up w/her. (All of this is made even funnier by the fact that he is a huge, hulking 3-year-old who also loves to shoot and sword-fight.) I think it'll be fun for us all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Martie! Oh my gosh you are going to have SO much fun with that little girl! Haha Res is hilarious! He's going to be a great big brother! Love that he can get dressed up and still be a super hero! :) You guys are going to love that lil girl to pieces!

    ReplyDelete